Saturday 25 April 2015

Five Ways I've Learnt to Deal with a Bad Day

I feel like I've come a long way from the beginning of this blog already. Although it's been less than four months, I can say that seriously sitting down and evaluating how I can overcome some pretty long-standing issues with my mental health has been highly rewarding.

But in no way has it been easy. In fact, I probably had the biggest relapse in the form of a severe panic attack - seemingly from no-where. Yet I haven't looked back since and this refusal to give in to anxiety is very empowering.

So, from my journey thus far, here are my top five ways I've learnt to prevent a bad day.

#1 Exercise
David Ohmer: Get those endorphins flowing

I cannot stress to you enough how much exercise has helped me. When I say exercise, I don't mean the gym seven times a week, twice a day. I mean even something as simple as walking or jogging a mile, talking your dog out, walking to the shops instead of driving. Anything that does not involve remaining stationary. Obviously, the more intense your workout, the better the feeling afterwards, but don't be discouraged if you can't jump straight into a three mile run. It doesn't matter. When you stop looking at exercise as a way to get fit or lose weight, and start looking at it as a medicine, you'll start to enjoy it more.

# 2 Cook Something

Instagram: Nothing says comfort like homemade bread
Sometimes my mind is on overdrive and I cannot sit still. Other times, my mind is so disengaged I don't have the motivation to get up. Cooking, I've found, is a great way to deal with both of these situations. It requires concentration, precision and personally, I find it fun! When you're restless, it gives your mind something to channel all that energy into. When you're feeling down, it gives a great sense of achievement and deals with the guilt that can come from having an unproductive day. And best of all, it's accessible. Pretty much anyone will have the basic resources to cook. There are millions of recipes to be found on the internet for any dish imaginable. I've found I enjoy giving vegan recipes a go - there's nothing more satisfying than seeing my carnivorous family and friends coming back for seconds on a meat and dairy free treat!

# 3 Don't Be Alone


Instagram: Me and my little sister having a Spongebob marathon night
My current circumstances mean I generally live on my own for up to three weeks at a time. This does get kinda lonely. I've started to notice when this loneliness creeps up, I begin to get very insular. When you face all your problems alone, even the slightest things become overwhelming. When I'm having a day like this, I make sure I get myself out of the house and go visit someone I know I'm comfortable around. It's not even always to talk about how I feel, just to realise there is life outside of my head and people that care.

# 4 Do That 'Thing'

Amy, Flickr: Yeah, you remember that 'thing' you were supposed to start? Do it! 
Everyone can be guilty of procrastinating from time to time. Everyone can feel overwhelmed with 'things' they need to do. The best way to deal with these feelings? Do those things! This seems pretty straight forward, but I will be the first to put my hand up and say I am immensely guilty of putting responsibilities off. The stress of not doing the 'thing' becomes so intense I end up feeling like I want to crawl into a hole somewhere. What starts as a normal, productive level of stress grows into a gargantuan towering shadow we become scared to tackle. I've found though, once I tell myself that the stress surrounding it is really just my own fabrication and to just start my 'thing', I feel instantly better. Even if you don't finish it, you've still managed to shrink that looming shadow down a manageable size.

# 5 Get Some Sleep


Umberto Salvagnin: Nothing like a cat nap
A normal day can feel like the end of your sanity when you're sleep deprived - for me especially anyway! I rarely let anything get in the way of a good night's sleep nowadays. I try to go to bed at the same time every night and avoid lying in too late when I can to keep a healthy sleep cycle. But occasionally, life likes to remind me that even my best efforts at getting adequate sleep are futile (cue an existential crisis the moment my head hits the pillow). When I know I've not had enough sleep, I won't consider my other four options until I've taken forty winks. If you're having trouble sleeping, do some research. Avoid televisions or other electronic devices where you can before sleep, make sure you're not hungry. Try reading or listening to some music before bed if you're not tired straight away. I find mindfulness before bed is a great way to shut your mind down, too.


So, there's my top five ways I deal with a bad day! I'm always looking for a way to make this list even longer. What do you do to unwind?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the people twirl...