Friday 16 January 2015

Some unhelpful brain-pickings that tend to float around my skull and why they are irrational

So, this first exercise is to identify negative thoughts. I'll explain why I think I think these thoughts (I think). And then I will rationalize with myself as to why they are untrue.

I found this exercise very helpful when I received CBT counselling for when I was suffering from bulimia (ex-bulimic now, and the lowest weight of my adult life; it is possible).

Here's one I've grappled with today.
I am lazy.

Why?

Because aside from going to the garage to use the tumble dryer, I haven't left the house today.
Because I haven't exercised for over a week.
Because I've eaten nothing but copious amounts of snack food all day, because it was easier than cooking a proper meal.

Why I am not

You have tidied the house today, and done all the washing (adulthood alert).
You have not slept well for the past three nights. Stop writing this blog and get some sleep.
You have spent the last week and half practically living in the library producing a 3000-word essay, the deadline of which was today; you finished yesterday. *touches skin, sizzling moisture evaporates*
You ARE going for a 5K run tomorrow. So go to bed. Instantly.


Has anyone else tried this exercise before? Why don't you give it a go? Any experiences you can relate to?

Communicate below, you are in a friendly place.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the people twirl...